Kobe scores again
Tue, August 17, 2004
PROSECUTORS TOOK another beating yesterday in the Kobe Bryant case, losing a last-ditch attempt to keep the NBA star's lawyers from telling jurors about the alleged victim's sex life. Without explanation, the Colorado Supreme Court refused to consider an appeal of a ruling by the trial judge that the woman's sexual conduct around the time of her encounter with Bryant is relevant to the case.
The decision came as Bryant's pretrial hearing got under way. If the prosecution appeal had been granted, the trial could have been delayed for weeks beyond the scheduled Aug. 27 start date.
District attorney spokesman Krista Flannigan said prosecutors still plan to put the Los Angeles Lakers guard on trial.
On Friday, District Judge Terry Ruckriegle denied a postponement. Prosecutors sought a delay in part because of the accidental release of transcripts from a closed-door hearing, which they called "extremely harmful" to their case.
In the transcripts, a defence witness explained why she believed DNA evidence indicated the victim had sex with another man after her encounter with Bryant but before her hospital exam.
Further complicating the case, the accuser filed a civil suit against Bryant in federal court last week. Defence attorney Pamela Mackey said exposed "her motivation to pursue her false accusation: The hope of a large monetary award."