Suspect released on bail

By Sarah Deeth
Local News - Tuesday, October 19, 2004 @ 07:00

Const. Chris Litt, right, of the Timmins Police Service escorts 18-year-old Edward Oursien to court at The 101 Mall for a bail hearing Monday morning. Oursien is charged with two counts of manslaughter in the deaths of Daniel Drouin, 19, and Andrew Tessier, 17. The two students died after taking MS Contin, a powerful, morphine based drug.

Photo: Sarah Deeth
An 18-year-old Timmins man charged with two counts of unlawful act manslaughter in the drug-related deaths of Daniel Drouin, 19, and Andrew Tessier, 17, was released on bail Monday.

Edward Oursien appeared to be struggling to hold back tears as he appeared before Justice of the Peace Marielle Quinn in Timmins court.

He was released on $5,000 bail without deposit on the condition he not contact any witnesses involved in the ongoing investigation, and not attend any primary or secondary schools.

He is also prohibited from possessing any non-prescription drugs.

Oursien will appear in court again on Nov. 2. If convicted of manslaughter, the Roland Michener Secondary School student could face life in prison.

“The unlawful act is the trafficking of a controlled substance,” said Assistant Crown Attorney Jason Nicol. “In our view this is an appropriate charge.”

The manslaughter charges stem from the distribution of the drug MS Contin, resulting in the overdose deaths of Tessier and Drouin.

It is alleged a suspect sold the two students MS Contin pills, a powerful controlled-release tablet containing morphine normally prescribed to terminally-ill cancer patients.

Police officers responding to a call Thursday at 9 p.m. found Drouin dead in his residence.

Police determined Drouin had taken a pill later identified as MS Contin.

Early Friday morning, police officers learned Tessier, had died in his residence after taking the same type of pill.

The investigation into their deaths is ongoing.

“We know the drug was distributed to a number of people,” said Timmins Police Insp. Michael McGinn.

At least one other teenager was treated at the hospital.

“We are aware that some sought medical attention at the hospital,” McGinn said, “but we don’t have any numbers on that.”