Toronto police disciplinary documents obtained this week show Sgt. Christopher Heard is facing three counts of misconduct under the Police Services Act stemming from the alleged sexual assault of a 27-year-old woman in September 2015.
Christopher Heard is seen making his way out of the Mounted Unit stables to head out on patrol in a file photo. (Richard Lautens / TORONTO STAR)
Heard is accused of failing to inform the police communications operator of his whereabouts after picking up the first alleged victim, and of belatedly writing up an account of that encounter in his police notes — and only after learning the woman filed a complaint against him.
Last week, the Special Investigations Unit — the civilian watchdog that probes deaths, serious injuries or sexual assault allegations involving police — announced Heard was facing a second sexual assault charge against a 25-year-old woman, occurring just weeks after the first alleged assault.
“I can tell you that once the Service is provided with information on the second charge, it will be reviewed for possible (Police Service Act) charges,” said Meaghan Gray, spokesperson for the Toronto police.
The disciplinary charges against Heard have not been proven at the tribunal. The officer is currently suspended from Toronto police with pay.
Approached by the Star as he was packing up a trailer outside his home on a quiet residential street in Durham region Thursday night, Heard declined to comment.
“I’m not talking to you,” he said. “I’m already disappointed enough with the news.”